Saturday, July 15, 2017

ANTOMY OF A PAINTING



I just finished this painting yesterday.  I have been exploring some ways to work with acrylic lately.  I managed to photograph the work at the end of each day, with a small exception.  I forgot to take a photo after the charcoal drawing and remembered after I had started to add color but one can still see the progression clearly.  I wasn't sure how I was going to finish the painting until I was there.  That is a nice quality about acrylic is it is so changeable and fixable.  With watercolor there is much less flexibility.

This particular piece of paper has 3 different paintings if viewed through an x-ray machine.  I don't even remember what the original failed painting was.  I covered that over with collage papers and did a painting on that.  Another dog!  Time to reinvent.  So here are the steps I took to get to this image.  I think I will keep this one.  


Lots of spray with water and alcohol to create some texture and surface interest.  



I drew the image on with charcoal because I could make corrections easily.  Once I was satisfied with the drawing, I went over the lines with acrylic paint in sepia.  Once dry I washed the charcoal off with a damp cloth.


Establishing some value patterns


This is the ugly duckling stage  where doubt starts to creep in.


Now I have to make some major decisions as to the final direction I want to take this painting in.  


I even surprised myself!  





6 comments:

Sadami said...

Thank you, Myrna, for sharing a precious process. I'm learning lot from you. The work is lovely that tells an inner world which always amazes me. I admire you! Best wishes, Sadami

Karen Knutson said...

I love all of the last 3 steps! Even the one that you called ugly duckling. This is an awesome painting!!! What size is it? What is the price?

Unknown said...

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks for sharing your comments. Feedback is important. When I checked the size (20 x 26) I realized it wa son yupo and remembered the original painting plus another on top of that in addition to what I stated in the post. The nice part about yupo is it doesn't buckle. 'even with 5 layers of work on it, the original nature of the paper impacts the final result.

RH Carpenter said...

I, too, liked the ugly duckling stage! ha ha Not so ugly at all and you've carried over a very pensive look throughout, which is wonderful with the muted colors even though the pops of red showing through give it a great energy and fun aspect. Lovely work!! A show winner, for sure.

Meera Rao said...

Stunning :) I agree with the other comments and like even the ugly duckling stage ! Thanks for sharing -really appreciate your generosity.

Related Posts with Thumbnails