Sunday, December 14, 2014

VERSION #2

INTO EACH LIFE...
Well, I decided to do a second painting of this pose and then choose which one I was going to exchange with another artist for his painting.  This one is just textured gesso on paper, no collage.  I tried to get the same gesso texture as the last painting and couldn't do it.   I used Dr. Ph Martin's Hydrus for the watercolor.  I do like how a gesso surface takes the paint and releases the paint! Now I have to decide which version to keep and which to send.  This one is much more traditional in approach.

Aside from working on this painting, I have been experimenting with the camera in my new iPhone 6+.   I have been practicing stealth photography while out for walks and am getting better at positioning the camera without looking at the screen.  You can release the shutter using the volume control buttons on the side or  the volume controls on the ear buds, if they are plugged in and you don't have iTunes on.  This image was taken with the iPhone camera and it seems to be more color accurate than my other camera.  I didn't have to make any adjustments at all!  I am impressed!  I ordered an extension rod that also becomes a tall tripod.  I am hoping to be able to take some images with unusual perspectives with this extension and also use the video feature on the phone using the tripod for filming some of my paintings in progress.  My new photo accessories will come just in time for my next series of paintings.  

It's that time of year to write down my objectives for creating work in the coming year.  I try to focus on no more than five different areas and then do as many variations of these ideas as I can come up with.  Limiting your choices helps your mind to be more creative with what is available.  If you allow everything to be available, then one tends to go to the tried and true. safe and easy.  Chuck Close says an artist needs to create a problem and then solve it.  This is my way of creating a problem.

8 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

A great portrait, Myrna. I don't know how you figure out all these ways of expressing yourself through your art. It is always so stunning.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you Sherry. I am getting pretty sick of my face by this time. Hoping to torture some other family members in the coming year.

RH Carpenter said...

I like both of the paintings, Myrna, and admire your challenge to yourself each year - which has created some winning paintings for you. Have a wonderful holiday season and may the New Year bring you much joy and creativity - and tell your family members to look out!! ha ha

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Rhonda, Happy Holidays to you, Jerry and your family. Thanks for the nice comments. I am excited to start a new series and see where it may lead. My family lives in fear!

Meera Rao said...

hi Myrna, love your self portrait :) Reading your post now i want the 6+ ( i still have the 4 - so i guess about time!) and a great Chuck Close quote. Wishing you wonderful holidays and a super creative 2015!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

HOW cool! Perfect!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you, Meera, happy holidays to you and your family.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you, Sue. So glad you
Ike it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails